Multiple-connections, long hours wasted at airports, and ages to get to the hotel, are definitely not occurrences in Sapporo. The gateway of Sapporo, New Chitose Airport, is located approximately 45 kilometers (37 minutes via rapid train) from the Sapporo city center and connected by direct flights to 30 cities in Japan. 17 million people use the airport annually and thus New Chitose Airport is the third busiest airport in Japan. Notably, the number of passengers on the Tokyo (Haneda)-Sapporo (New Chitose) route exceeds 9 million annually, making it one of the world's busiest routes.
New Chitose Airport also has direct flights from foreign airports.
- Incheon International Airport (South Korea / Seoul): 28 flights/week
- Gimhae International Airport (South Korea / Busan): 8 flights/week
- Beijing Capital International Airport (China / Beijing): 4 flights/week
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport (China / Shanghai): 10 flights/week
- Tianjin International Airport (China / Tianjin): 2 flights/week
- Hong Kong International Airport (China / Hong Kong): 19 flights/week
- Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (Taiwan / Taipei): 35 flights/week
- Kaohsiung International Airport (Taiwan / Kaohsiung): 5 flights/week
- Guam International Airport (USA / Guam): 2 flights/week
- Honolulu International Airport (USA / Honolulu): 3 flights/week
- Suvarnabhumi Airport (Thailand / Bangkok): 7 flights/week
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport (Malaysia / Kuala Lumpur): 4 flights/week
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Airport (Russia / Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk): 2 flights/week
New Chitose Airport and Sapporo station are connected by JR line.
More information is available here